by Rosita Viduya Hueu
On May 16, 2009 at the Annual Membership Social, the Lana’i Alumni and Community Association will present Pierce Myers, principal of Lana’i High and Elementary School with the 2009 Distinguished Member Award at Pearl Country Club. The prestigious award recognizes a member who excels in his/her endeavors and has contributed very significantly through services or financial support to LACA. If you would like to attend the event, log on to lanaiconnection.com for details (entertainment, program, dinner buffet, raffles) or email email@example.com.
Since the establishment of our association in 1995, Pierce has rendered efficient and invaluable service as LACA’s coordinator for the Kiyoshi Minami Awards and Grants comprised of:
- $1500 for Student Activity or Class Project
- $500 for Professional Improvement
- $300 for Student School or Community Service
and the following annual scholarships:
- $2,000 Thomas Roy Nunotani Scholarship
- $1,500 LACA Vocational Scholarship
- $1,000 Suzanne Damian Vocational Scholarship.
He is a 1975 graduate of Radford High School and received a Bachelor’s Degree in Music Education from UH Manoa in 1979. In 1984 he received his Master’s Degree in Curriculum & Instruction from UH Manoa.
His teaching and administrative experiences were at:
- Wheeler Intermediate as Band Teacher, 1979 – 1980
- Lanai High and Elementary School, Band Teacher, 1980 – 1997
- Lanai High and Elementary School Vice Principal 1997 – 1999
- Lanai High and Elementary School Principal 1999 to the present.
Pierce is actively involved on Lana’i in community/business ventures and serves in numerous committees. During his leisure time, he enjoys photography, music and being outdoors.
Pierce is married to the former Jessie Figuerres. They are the parents of two daughters Udella and Sharah. Udella graduated from LHES in 1999 and received her Masters in Social Work at UH Manoa in 2005. Sharah is a student at LHES and will graduate in 2010.
LACA, comprised of over 1,150 members deeply appreciates everything Pierce does for the association. Congratulations, Pierce, for the well deserved honor!